Tips and Information about making jewelry



With this blog, I hope to share my knowledge, successes, trials and errors, student's work, tips, and information about making jewelry.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sterling Silver Metal Clay Tutorial - Making Slip & Syringe Clay



With the new sterling silver metal clay, there is a lot to experiment with, and to push its limits to find out what IS its limit. The first thing I wanted to do was make some slip and syringe clay. I am used to working with PMC3 and I like using these two clay forms. Yes, slip can be made easily by taking a wet brush and painting it on the lump clay, but I don’t want to spend my time making slip when I need it now.

This is what you’ll need to make your own container of slip.
Small container with a lid
6mm round ball of lump sterling silver clay
A very small amount of distilled water (start with ½ teaspoon)
A clay shaper, flat or round


Place the lump clay into the container pressing it flat inside the container.


Add a small amount of water.


Mix pressing the clay against the side of the container until it is diluted to a smooth consistency.

Allow it to sit overnight and it will become very smooth.

 
Next is making the syringe sterling silver clay.
You will need:
An empty syringe (used up some from PMC3)
Snake roller
Small amount of Sterling Silver Metal Clay


Using the snake roller, roll the clay into a tube shape so that it can fit into the syringe.

Place the clay into the open end of the syringe, pressing it down into the tube with the plunger.


Keep pressing until all air is out.


Place clean tip on syringe.


While I am working with the clay, I keep my syringe sitting in a small container with a sponge and water. This keeps the tip from drying. I also store my brush there too, keeping it moist.

1 comment: